Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Mom's Soup

This is a literal recipe of my mom's. I remember it being good but the recipe doesn't make it sound like that.
___


"Buy either a small roast or short ribs, or a boiling beef and a soup bone or a big roast cut off, part of it to make soup out of and roast the rest in the oven. Then you have two meals.

Put salt, meat and water in large pan. Fill pan with water and bring to a boil. Scrape the stuff off that comes to the top before it boils or it will boil into the water and you can't get it out. Then cut up onion and celery and put in. Let this boil slowly about 2-3 hours, Then add one can of tomato sauce, some spuds, carrots, rice ( only 2-3 T of rice) and then let it cook until all the vegetables are tender. About one hour or more."

(When I was a child I used to put a spoonful of vinegar in it when it was dished out. I know it doesn't sound good but I liked the different taste in the soup. But that's just me.)